Saturday, September 22, 2012

My Middle School Office

In my last post, I talked about what it was like to have two offices.  I posted some pictures and talked about the layout of my high school office.  This post is going to center around my middle school office.  So, like I said before, I serve 8th and 9th graders at my district.  8th graders are at the middle school and 9th graders are at the high school.  The two campuses are probably about a mile or so part, so it is a short drive between the buildings.

I have a special affection for the middle school.  After all, I went to school there from the 7th through the 12th grade.  When we built a new high school 8 years ago the original high school campus became the middle school.  It is spread out over several buildings and there have been a lot of additions and upgrades since I graduated.  It is kind of neat though to walk the halls of my old high school.

The counseling offices were built about five years ago when there when the office and the new library were built.  We do not have a waiting room or outer office.  I think that is what my office served as before my job was added last year.  But when I came along they had to find a place to put me.

So this is what the outside of the office looks like.  My door is on the right and the 5th - 7th grade counselor is next door.   I have a mailbox on the wall for students to leave messages when I am out.


 It is hard to see, but I have a sign in my window that I change (when I remember) that lets students know if I am in.  I also have a sign that says "Is Out" and "Please Do Not Disturb."  I could do a better job remembering to change the signs in and out too. 

Well, here it is - messy and all.  I have said it before, but I am a pile-er with a capital P.  The cabinets and shelves are really nice to have though.  Angie, the 5-7 Counselor, already had a kind of Americana theme going, so I just went with that and added a few things that I liked.

Angie's office is through that door.  When we have students in we just close it for privacy. We have a great relationship - she has been so welcoming and helpful to me from the very beginning and I am very grateful for her support.  
 I just realized I did not take any other pictures from different angles.  There is really just a block wall behind where I am standing for that picture anyway, so it's probably ok.  This office is bigger than my high school office.   My phone rings at both offices, so that is nice that I don't have two different numbers and extensions to keep up with.  It is hard to be on the phone with someone when my notes are in the other office - that has happened a few times.

Well, that's it for now!  I hope everyone has a great weekend.  I am enjoying a lazy Saturday for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment