Friday, October 5, 2012

Where's Your Hall Pass?

This is just a short post today.  I thought I would write about the pass I use when I need to see a student.  I hate to knock on a classroom door myself and ask for a kid.  It creates a disturbance, they may be in the middle of something, and then there is the whole confidentiality thing.  Not everyone needs to know when I need to see someone.

The inspiration for the pass I created came when I visited a counseling center at a very large local high school.  It was for one of my graduate classes, but they were gracious enough to let my class snoop around a bit.  One of the assistant principals actually taught the class, so it was a perk you might say. :)  I took a picture of it then so I could recreate it.
The top paper is a request to see the counselor.  I have not done one of those yet, but I probably should.  It is not the best picture.  I took it last year, not even thinking I would start a blog about counseling and might need a decent photo.  haha!

Anyway, here is what I came up with:

I know that I have mentioned before that I work out of two buildings.  Both buildings have another counselor there full time.  I felt like I needed to specify which counselor this was coming from.  There is some confusion sometimes about all that. 

So I just fill in the information and check the time for them to come.  Most of the time I do the "when convenient" blank.  I don't use these a lot at the middle school.  Our teachers there each have phones in their classroom so I can just call them when I need someone out of their classroom.   It works really well at the high school though because the main office has senior office aides each period that deliver them for me when needed.

Well, that's it for now.  Thank you for reading!  How do you let students know you need to see them?  I would love to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment